Sunday, May 25, 2008

I know it has been several years since I've last posted on this blog. When I started it, I was just exploring the world of blogging and ran several in tandem but soon discovered how much work they were. At the time I was very busy with drama in my church ministry and at work and I struggled to find my voice.

I have since finished my fictional history novel on Shiloh and as my wife and I explore our avenues of publishing and bringing my passion for teaching people our rich heritage of history, free from as much political correctness and politics in general, I am endeavoring to begin this journey anew. Writing and researching the workbook curriculum to accompany my novel has renewed my love for research and teaching. There is a rich history of military and political questions to be explored regarding the Civil War battle of Shiloh and I've just begun to scratch the surface of what is out there.

This was formerly harder to accomplish as most of these treasure troves of personal correspondence and newspaper, magazine, and journal writings were sitting in thousands of archives scattered about the US. With the internet and the improvements in OCR scanning technology many of these writings are available for easy access and perusal. I've begun searching for articles written by the participants as I uncover controversy and questions of interpretation that are relevant in our current day.

In the coming weeks I'll be writing on some of these things and hopefully starting a dialogue with other historians and Civil War enthusiasts in hopes of creating awareness of Shiloh and talking about my journey in writing about Shiloh.

No comments:

Site Meter